Many of these poems will be of the city of Schenectady from early 1900 to the present.

GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY - SCHENECTADY NY - PHOTO provided by F. Duci

Monday, May 3, 2010

The Purpose of a Fence

Stuck here in this dirt to
protect some precious life –

First, hit hard on every
side then plastered with some
paint.

Then – here in a line I live
beyond those who placed me,
dividing property from left,
and right of center, then
pounded, secured with nails –

In years to come I might
be replace – new fangled
ways to protect these fields
I have learned to love –

Fields I see each breaking
day, then, I could be his
golden gate.

So slap the paint on my
side, coat my nails with
rust, pound my head into
the ground –

It’s life which I protect.

Nancy Duci Denofio
all rights reserved

No comments: